Tuesday, August 12, 2008

So Much Going On!!

Ed, Kaden, and I have finally pseudo-settled into our house on Edwards AFB in CA. Now that I have internet again, that has really helped. It's been hard being so disconnected here. We live in the Mojave Desert and it's 15 miles from our house to the front gate...and there is nothing in between!! The nearest nice city is about a 45 minute drive. The closest cities to us are Rosamond (a dump), Lancaster, and Palmdale. The last two are equivalent to Spokane, I'd say...maybe a little smaller.

Kaden is growing so quickly, and learning new things every day. He is 8 months old now and has a tooth popping through. He is always on the go, crawling everywhere and he loves to go back and dump Samson's water and get into his food. I even caught him eating some recently! He has super sensitive skin, and he's having trouble adjusting to the dryness of the desert. His skin has angry red patches all over his body. The pediatrician says it's probably eczema. It doesn't seem to bother him too much. I think it may itch him sometimes though. We go to the children's library, play group, and even the pool. On a typical day though, Kaden just plays in the house while mommy tries to unpack!


Ed has jumped into his job here feet first...quite literally! He is a test-parachute jumper and will be going to free-fall school here soon too, so that he can also skydive. They are gone for a week every month jumping, and they jump about once a week for the rest of the month. So needless to say, it is a major part of his job. He is still teaching survival the rest of the time. He has great co-workers here, and has made good friends with them.

I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting, with a house that is still being unpacked while I try to entertain a baby during the day, Ed gone all the time already, and being in such a remote area. it's not like I can just go grab a cup of coffee and meet with friends. The nearest stand is out the gate...15 miles away!! I only know a few girls, but I am meeting new people all of the time. Nobody I'm really close with yet, but I met one nice girl with an 18 month old and one on the way next week. I met another girl with a 7 year old and one on the way next month. Ed and I met some really nice people at church recently, but they are all older than us, with much older children.

Ed, Kaden, and I went camping already!! We went to Lake Isabella in the Sequoia National Park. It was the grossest lake ever! It was stinky, muddy, and in the middle of the desert with no trees anywhere!! I'm used to WA lakes, which are beautiful, so it had a lot to live up to, but it didn't come anywhere close! And the really gross part is that people where laying on the beach, with flies everywhere and people where even swimming in it. ugg. other then that, it was kind of fun! it was nice to get off base for once, and the drive was nice. We didn't see any Sequoias, but apparently they were only about 15 minutes away.

I wanted to catch everyone up to what I'm doing right now, but I also want to post pics and info on our trips to the east coast. I'll do that next. We have a local number here now. Feel free to call! I'd love to hear from all of you!! It's 661-475-4122.

No comments: